Friday 19 April 2013

Open Letter to Bishop of Winchester Tim Dakin.

Most of us are aware of the "letter campaign" from the local church going lobby in support of Bob Key, the Dean of Jersey recently suspended by the Bishop of Winchester Tim Dakin.

The Dean's suspension came about, as regular readers will be aware, after a published Report criticising his failure to act in accordance with "safeguarding procedures."

We first reported on this Here and have kept readers up to date, as best we can, HERE and HERE

The welfare of alleged victim "HG" appears not to be a priority, or even an issue. Now the priority looks to be the restoration of the Dean to office and to resolve potential constitutional problems that are becoming apparent.

At the forefront of this complex puzzle is former Bailiff, and now Senator Philip Bailhache, who looks to have his finger in an awful lot of pies nowadays from Plemont through to the hijacking of Electoral Reform, independence for Jersey, and his own self promotion as Jersey's would-be Foreign Minister to name but a few.

The latest letter (below), sent by the Dean's lobbyists, calls for his reinstatement before Liberation Day (May the 9th) so he can appear in his full regalia and splendour.

Readers will note that part of the lobbyists e-mail (below) mentions an attachment where there is further support for the Dean's reinstatement. This support comes from a friend of the Dean's in Scotland who is a Minister in the Church of Scotland who, some years ago, campaigned against a gay preacher being appointed. 

We have had site of this letter of support but we do not intend to publish it at this time but perhaps the lobbyists might consider doing so?

In response to all this lobbyists' activity, and letter campaign, I have today written my own letter/e-mail to the Bishop of Winchester concerning "HG" and "The Jersey Way" copied to the Lieutenant Governor.

Readers who share my concerns are invited to endorse my e-mail/letter to Bishop Dakin by using it as a template and sending it to bishop.tim@winchester.anglican.org copying in the Lieutenant Governor  governorsoffice@gov.je

Lobbyists' e-mail.

Dear All

If you, like others, wrote to the Bishop I doubt whether you have even had the courtesy of a reply. He seems determined to ignore us, the people of Jersey.

It seems Bob is suspended because he is an obstacle to the Bishop's plans and it has gone on long enough!

We need to contact our government and show them we support them in their efforts to get Bob reinstated at least in time for our Liberation Day celebrations.

It is extremely important that you write a short e-mail to that effect and send it to the following addresses:

Governor : governorsoffice@gov.je
Bailiff :m.birt@gov.je
Chief Minister : i.gorst@gov.je

Thank You

(Name redacted)

P.S. I attach a letter sent to the Bishop by Rev'd. (name redacted) which gives a good perspective on the situation. I have his permission to circulate this to you.(END).

Email/letter from VFC.

Dear Bishop Dakin.

I am contacting you in order to offer my full support for your suspension of Bob Key, the Dean of Jersey, which I see as a neutral act. Further I would like to add my disgust at the letter sent to The Most Rev and Rt Hon the Lord Archbishop of Canterbury by Senator Philip Bailhache on the 26 of March 2013 in which the Senator displayed, what is known as "The Jersey Way." That is to say, in my opinion, he set out to discredit the investigation/report published by the Diocese of Winchester, and thus discrediting, not to mention, "attacking" the alleged Abuse Victim "HG."

You will no doubt be aware that Jersey has an appalling record when it comes to any kind of safeguarding issues and stands accused of covering up Child Abuse for decades.

In 2008 the States of Jersey Police went public with its investigation (operation Rectangle) into decades of institutional Child Abuse and the world's media flocked to the island in their masses and reported on the heinous atrocities committed in one of the Jersey's "care" homes Haut de la Garenne. The evidence uncovered, during this investigation, was nothing less than spine chilling, to include numerous child's remains uncovered, and according to official police reports, bones that were "fresh and fleshed", when they were "burnt and buried." 

There has subsequently been a number of, what has been described as, "show trials" concerning some of the abuse which occurred at the home and some low level suspects were convicted in the island's Royal Court. According to the former Senior Investigating Officer of Operation Rectangle, Lenny Harper, there are still at least 4 "priority suspects" employed by the States of Jersey, in positions of power/authority, some with alarming access to children/vulnerable adults who were never taken to court by the then Attorney General William Bailhache, brother of Philip Bailhache. The Former Police Chief, Graham Power QPM, described the allegations the force were receiving as "State Sponsored Paedophilia."

It was after the word's media left the island that "The Jersey Way" came into play and the island's authorities set about discrediting the Child Abuse Investigation, the Investigators and by implication, the Abuse Victims/Survivors. Exactly what appears to be happening all over again as displayed in Senator Bailhache's letter to The Most Rev and Rt Hon the Lord Archbishop of Canterbury where, in my opinion, he attempts to portray the alleged victim (HG) as "the perpetrator" by writing "it was clearly considered by all concerned that that order was in the best interests both of HG and those she had abused."

This, in my opinion, is a disgusting remark to make and only serves to demonstrate that despite all the abuse Investigations/Reports whether it be Haut de la Garenne, Jimmy Savile, North Wales, Kincora, Magdalene Laundries and so on, "The Jersey Way" still prevails, attack the investigators and victim(s) while supporting the alleged abusers/wrong doers.

I'm aware that a number of Jersey's, so called, "Christians" along with Senator Bailhache, have been lobbying for, and supporting, Bob Key, yet none of the fine people, in the Jersey Church, have offered ANY public support for the most important person in this sorry saga and that is the alleged victim (HG).

This e-mail sets out to offer that support, moreover, it sets out my wish to distance myself from the views of Senator Bailhache and offer full support to your decisive and necessary action in suspending the Dean, as a neutral act, and hope that the visitation of the Right Reverend John Gladwin is able to take place without hindrance from the likes of Senator Bailhache and justice, along with the wellbeing of "HG", is seen as a priority.

Senator Bailhache's stance is doing neither him, nor the church, any favours whatsoever, and, in my opinion, further damages the reputation of Jersey, and by implication, the church's reputation on the international/world stage and is, in no way, a fair representation of anybody I have spoken to.

It should also be said that I have spoken to a number of people from the church, in Jersey, who have told me that they feel there is a bullying campaign going on to support the Dean and those who do support "HG" are in fear of repercussions if they publicly show their support.

My thoughts are with "HG." I leave you with a question that everybody should be asking themselves; "what would Jesus have done, would he, have  supported the poor, homeless, vulnerable, victim, or would he, like Senator Bailhache and others, have  defended those who allegedly wronged her?

Good luck to the Right Reverend John Gladwin with his visitation and good luck to anybody who comes up against "The Jersey Way" and not least good luck to "HG" and hope she is able to recover from her "Jersey Experience."

Name redacted. (VFC)

53 comments:

  1. I wish you luck in getting a response to your e-mail. I have already written to the Bishop in support of his action and agree with you that there is a bullying campaign going on in support of the Dean. Incidentally, I am a churchgoer. My stance is that I do not want Mr Key suspended indefinitely but neither do I want a whitewash 'investigation'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the diocese of Winchester cave into the Bailhache led bullying this will become another whitewash just like the Haut De La Garenne after they got rid of Harper and Power. My full support is with HG after having to go through THE JERSEY WAY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel moved to reply. I am HG. The Bishop has no interest in my side of things, he is making out that I am under a court order that will get me into trouble for contacting him about this matter, this is after he recently had me shocked and traumatized by tracing me through the police.
    It is good of people to stand up for me but it is not going to make the Bishop change his mind. This whole matter isn't about me and my welfare, I do not know what it is about but all that is happening to me is that I am under the threat of the Diocese of Winchester and the police again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am confident this comment was left by HG and would ask that you take encouragement in the fact you have a wealth of support on the internet and your welfare is of great concern to a great many of us. I am aware that you are in contact with former Deputy Bob Hill and would ask that you maintain a dialogue with him. There are very few people who can be trusted on this island but he is one of them.

      If there is anything I, or like minded supporters, can do to be of any help then just let us know? I believe there could be benefit in your participation with the ongoing process which is something you can discuss with Bob Hill.

      Please don't judge all in Jersey for the way you have been treated, as mentioned earlier, you have a wealth of support, and there are many of us disgusted with the way you have been treated and would like to see those responsible held to account and just as importantly help make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else.

      Delete
    2. Hi Voiceforchildren,
      Thank you for your support. I can tell that Deputy Bob Hill is trustworthy and a man to be respected.
      I do not judge against all in Jersey, I am and always was aware that there are some lovely people on the island, I didn't fall in love with Jersey for nothing.
      I doubt that anyone is going to be brought to account, if the old Bishop was unhelpful, the new one is just as bad.

      Basically I feel that I am living on borrowed time, something will give, and I have a feeling that it will be the diocese having another attempt to put me in prison/psychiatric ward, but it might be that I have a breakdown or heart attack, being on the streets for so long has damaged my health.

      I do not know what anyone can do to help me, but judging by the Bishop's response today, nothing is going to be done from that side, his comments about me breaking a court order that I do not know about kind of give his view on things completely and permenantly.
      He believes me to be deserving of a criminal record that I would not have got if the church had been doing their duty.
      Best wishes.

      Delete
    3. I'm pleased to hear that you have confidence in some of Jersey, and your confidence in Bob Hill is well founded. I'm sorry to hear of your continued plight and homelessness.

      Rather than discuss everything on such an open forum I strongly suggest you discuss matters with Bob Hill, who will, with your permission, keep me, and if needs be, readers updated. I am hopeful there could be a positive outcome if we approach this with a united front.

      Delete
    4. I agree with you about not posting everything on the forum. HG :)

      Delete
  4. I have today emailed the following letter to Bishop Tim under the heading Dean of Jersey.

    Dear Bishop

    I am neither of your persuasion nor a resident of Jersey (CI).

    However I have a place in my heart for the island for the last five decades and have been following affairs there with increasing attention for the last few years.

    The island is clearly governed by a self perpetuating clique in their own interest and against that of the islanders as a whole.

    Numerous attempts from within the island to get justice for the abused and to clean up the whole mess have come to nought. There are many reasons for this, both in Jersey itself and in the wider UK.

    Outside intervention of some sort is required to bring about adherence to civilised human standards.

    Your intervention in the case of the Dean is therefore very welcome and may give some hope to those living under the yoke of "the Jersey Way".

    May you stay on the path you have chosen and not be deterred by the bleatings of corrupt and scared sheep.

    May the force be with you.

    Yours sincerely,

    Pól Ó Duibhir
    Dublin, Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "If there is anything I, or like minded supporters, can do to be of any help then just let us know?"

    Here Here voice, I absolutely agree.

    HG please talk to Bob Hill and keep him up to date on any threats, intimidation or pressure you feel under, and he will I'm sure rally the troops at this end.

    I'm not a church goer, I do not believe in god or anything else in the bible, but to me doing right by your fellow human being when they are in difficulties is what Christianity is all about.

    Stay strong.

    JRCbean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JRCbean,
      Thank you for your support - HG

      Delete
  6. Well done VFC. I would urge as many of you as possible to either use this template letter to mail the Bishop or send him your own thoughts about this sorry affair.

    As VFC knows I have previously sent letters to both Bishop Dakin and the Archbishop of Canterbury. How DARE PB or indeed the CoE heirarchy here say they speak for the whole Island. They don't - simple as!

    HG - you clearly feel that no-one cares about you, but rest assured, as the victim in all this it is easy to see how you feel this way. However, it seems the only people to sing from this hymn sheet are PB and the 'Christian' community in Jersey. Let this Inquiry run its' course and hopefully you will see some justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sadly I doubt that I will live to see justice. -HG :)

      Delete
  7. Never say never HG. A lot of people are on your side, and although you may not think so I think the Bishop will conduct his Inquiry without fear or favour, or veiled threats from Jersey. Stay strong and positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, It does look like Bishop Dakin is taking safeguarding issues very seriously and has not allowed himself to be intimidated by "The Jersey Way" thus far. There is room for a little (very rare) optimism.

      Delete
  8. The Bishop has made his position in this very clear for me, he considers me deserving of what I have been through. For me, the Dean has been reinstated already and the Diocese intend a repeat imprisonment of me. I think this matter is coming to a close, at least for me, and if I am dead or in prison I do not think you can do much more. But thank you so much for your support, after two years of thinking that not a single person alive was on my side or aware of this situation I have been surprised and touched by your support and kind words. HG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you are finally aware there is support for you (not just words) this might bring you a little hope or inspiration. Perhaps for the first time, in a long time, there is a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel? There are a lot of good people on this island who are now aware of your "situation" who were not aware earlier. Hang in there.

      Delete
  9. Hi VFC.

    I shell be sending the email, its a disgrace what happened to her. I don't care that The Dean thinks hes being treated harshly, he should of looked after the girl's interests not the Churches when all this happened.

    TJW.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Try and get hold of a copy of Friday's Rag, there's was an article in there about the Ch of E refusing to sign up to an agreement about how to handle child protection guidelines or something. I didn't have time to read it all, but it looks like they're gleefully trying to smear the Bishop as a bad guy. Worth looking into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The Jersey Way" in action. Smear those who look to be attempting to protect the vulnerable and holding the guilty to account.

      Bellwood, Syvret, Pitman, Harper, Power................................"Dakin?"

      Delete
    2. In Saturday's JEP, Bishop Dakin responds. He says there is no need for him to sign a Jersey safeguarding policy...because the diocese already has in place a perfectly good English one, which applies to the whole diocese, including Jersey.

      All power to Bishop Dakin, I say. He's clearly coming up against "we do things differently in Jersey" and is correctly responding with "In this diocese, we follow the policies of the diocese".

      It's a good read, you should get a copy

      Delete
  11. Nicely written, VFC. Very good blog posting. You summed up what the Bishop of Winchester most needed to know about other recent applications of the Jersey Way. I know I am just one more out of many in expressing my heartfelt sympathies for HG.

    Elle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle.

      Thank you for your continued support, and word has it that the CofE are now well versed in "The Jersey Way"

      Delete
  12. I can't go to Church any more, I find it too upsetting, because I wrote to the Archbishops of Canterbury and York and many Bishops many times to tell them about the Pindown child abuse cover up and persecution of the victims, and none of them has the gumption and compassion even to whisper a complaint about the vile way we Pindown survivors and the whistleblowers who have had compassion for and supported us have been treated. I just hope Jesus comes back soon because the whole thing makes me feel sick.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "The Bishop has no interest in my side of things, he is making out that I am under a court order that will get me into trouble for contacting him about this matter, this is after he recently had me shocked and traumatized by tracing me through the police."

    That is disgusting, but I'm sorry to have to say that sort of malicious stalking persecution is the way things are for victims of institutional child abuse, they all rally round to try to cover it all up. Stay strong (easier said than done I know), don't let them drive you into doing anything bad or illegal, thats what these creepy bullies love to do most of all. Will be praying for you xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. The "Jersey" church has publicly come out in support of Bob Key and there is rumour of a bullying campaign where those, in the church, who want to publicly show support for HG are intimidated into silence.

    This brings us back to the overriding question; "what would Jesus have done?" Would he have remained silent? Didn't he die for his beliefs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A re-inactment of the crucifiction? This is what I said to the former Bishop.
      Here is a different view, isn't it great that 'Christians' are so fiercely loyal? :)
      ok I will cease to comment now.
      I bet you won't print this -HG

      Delete
    2. HG.

      I spoke with a number of people today, at a political rally, who have either already sent a letter of support for you to Bishop Dakin or will be doing. I hope this gives you some optimism, as it did me.

      Delete
  15. Thank you Voiceforchildren and everyone who is offering support. You are a light in the darkness and you show that Jersey is not hopelessly lost, there is clear thinking and hope for the voiceless as long as you continue to speak. HG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Continue to speak we will and hope that all victims will speak out against those who abuse, and fail, them. They will always have a voice on this Blog, and many other Blogs on the island and further afield.

      Delete
  16. Only a short reply from the Arch Bishop, but keep the emails rolling in.

    ReplyDelete
  17. HG came to the community of Christians for spiritual support at a time when she was employed, had a safe home and support. She was abused by a man in an officially sanctioned church role, who was already known to misuse this role to abuse women. She was misled into believing she was safe, loved and in a supportive community, only to find none of this was true. The local church has seemingly offered her no assistance at all? The congregation has not offered to make this right for her? Is this true?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excuse me for speaking when I said I would pipe down, and I hope I have not misunderstood the post by anon at 22.31, the church where I reported the churchwarden were never and because of their character, would never be, supportive to me. But that is not true in other churches throughout the island. Despite the implications of helping me when I was branded for reporting this man, some people did attempt to help me, putting themselves and their reputations at risk, though it was limited what they could do and I was in a bad way and admittedly hard to help by that time.
    I would love bring to the attention of the investigators that there were people who wanted to help but were limited because of the circumstances and the implications of helping me. The church are not all bad and the way things are in Jersey means it can be hard for people to do the right things.
    HG

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are wasting your time, read this - http://www.thisisjersey.com/news/2013/04/21/bishop-will-not-sign-jersey%E2%80%99s-church-policy/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Credit to Bishop Dakin for not wanting to sign up to “The Jersey Way.” How on earth can Jersey expect ANYBODY to sign up to the way they treat children and the vulnerable?

      One needs look no further than the DECADES of abuse that went on at Haut de la Garenne, not to mention Greenfields, Le Siene, and Blanch Pierre to learn how Jersey treats children and the vulnerable. Now some bright spark in Jersey wants Bishop Dakin to sign up to it?

      You stick by your guns Bishop Dakin and don’t get tarred with “The Jersey Brush!

      Delete
  20. Hear hear VFC! Why the hell should he sign up to anything drawn up by Jersey. The Church of England has it's own safeguarding policy, which I suspect would be far more robust than anything drawn up here (going by past experiences). Jersey falls under the Diocese of Winchester and should therefore be adhering to their safeguards. Fair play to the Bishop for standing firm.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good luck HG, you deserve all the support from the community here. For many years I was a member of the congregation of the Town Church. NOT NOW!! Sadly, there is a big emphasis on social climbing rather than support for the community.
    It has changed so much and I am afraid to say that quite a lot of people now attend church for the wrong reasons. The Dean does not make it his business to get to know ordinary people in the community. There is now a Dean's Vicar to deal with the underlings.
    I now choose to say prayers quietly at home and I do pray for you.
    So hope that your life improves.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have sent an e-mail to the Bishop based on yours, with alterations to reflect the fact that I am a Churchgoer.

    ReplyDelete
  23. If Senator Bailhache and some of the local CoE members have their (Jersey) way, what is to stop them from becoming the Church of Jersey? Is that not an implied threat here? Imagine the implications: The CoJ could mandate that nominations and applications for Church membership be required. This would eliminate many inconvenient challenges, including those associated with the humble, the bearded, the poor, and those persecuted by the State. No worries about any Jesus type showing up at their perfect place then, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bailhache Brothers have been exploring the possibility of Jersey's independence from the UK since 2007. Is this all part of their bigger (and very dangerous) picture?

      Delete
    2. Well, doesn't the parish church of St Helier belong to the parish of St Helier? We parishioners of St Helier pay to maintain it, do we not? Good luck trying to take that off the parish at a parish assembly...

      Church of Jersey, my foot!

      Delete
  24. I'm not a church goer and from what I've read, I wouldn't want to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fairness I'm not sure it is the church who should shoulder the entire blame here. It seems that the Diocese of Winchester is trying to do the right thing by commissioning an investigation and It's Senator Bailhache's intervention that looks to be causing the problems. Don't judge the church on the actions of Senator Bailhache and his cohorts.

      Delete
  25. The Bishop won't take any notice of this and talk about trying to stir up trouble on the back of somebody else's misery, just typical of disruptive unregulated citizens media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and compassion for HG. Are you talking on behalf of the Bishop, HG, the Island’s State Media, or was your comment a personal opinion?

      Delete
  26. 23rd lunch time news itv stated that dean should be back on duty next week? do you know more?

    ReplyDelete
  27. If it was on the island's State Media one would be inclined to take it with a pinch of salt. We shall have to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have just read on Bob Hill's blog tha the Dean and Bishp will not be meeting this week.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The bishop is in the island tomorrow to meet the clergy chapter (resuming the adjourned meeting before Easter). Last I heard the Dean is still refusing to meet him. MSM putting two and two together and coming to seven, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The Establishment are banking on Option B going through, and The Dean being back on show for Jerseys Liberation Day....

    Let us hope that they are wrong on both counts!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, it looks like Option B will go through. As for the Dean,goodness knows!

      Delete
  31. It looks like the church is facing up to its "failings" and is admitting to previous "deception and cover-up." HERE.

    It's not a wonder that Jersey doesn't want them looking into what goes on over here.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am very impressed with that - if only our Dean was willing to be so brave and honest.

    ReplyDelete